I’ve seen dozens, if not hundreds of online contests on blogs, facebook, instagram… but never considered entering one. I guess if it’s not a million dollars, or a date with Mark Wahlberg, i’m not really interested. I just really don’t want any more stuff.
A few weeks back though, I did enter one of those online contests. I just happened across it, cruising through my feed, and for the first time I was like… “hell yah! sign me up!!” The very talented, inspiring artist, Joann Loftus was giving away a print…any print! A hand embelleshed print of one of her original mixed media paintings, which i absolutely drool over. Yup. I occasionally drool over art. And, Mark Wahlberg. Enough about him though… I won the art!! And I just wanted to tell the world!!!
It came in the mail wrapped up in this delicious paper with a special note on one of her sweet cards. (her painting Create)
I couldn’t WAIT to open it.
Rewind about a year… my husband and I did a lot of work remodeling our bedroom. It was my first little attempt at being a “designer”. I had this vision that just wouldn’t go away.
I had become passionate about the project… Together we made it happen, and it became a huge part of a healing process we were going through after some health issues. The room was transformed from mostly-dreadful to semi-delightful, but with a severe lack of funds, the project came to a screeching halt before my favorite part of the design… the ART!!! I knew there had to be art, that wasn’t my own, that I hadn’t seen yet. When I saw it, I would know.
I brought up this back story because it is important for you to understand how excited I am having added the first piece of art (besides a few of my own which don’t count) to our Bohemian Zen bedroom. When I saw the contest Joann had posted, I knew I wanted one of her pieces in our bedroom.
Most artists would agree, nothing says appreciation for someone’s art like forking over some well-earned dough. Since I wouldn’t be paying for this piece, I wanted to somehow express how much I really did appreciate it. Sending a heartfelt email just didn’t seem enough. So I broke out a top ten list… written especially for Joann, and pasted it into the email. I was pretty sure this whole thing was a scam, since it seemed much to good to be true, but I sent the email with my painting of choice.
It was not an easy or instant decision…I can relate deeply to so many of her pieces (Create was actually the first runner-up!)… but without a doubt it was meant to be, She Has Trouble with Numbers.
So here is the top ten list…
The Top Ten Reasons I love She Has Trouble With Numbers, by Joann Loftus
1. This was the first Loftus I ever saw.
2. I didn’t much love my short curly hair that wouldn’t grow out after chemo. I liked her short “curly-ish” hair when i first saw her. It made me like mine more.
3. She reminds me of me. I’m terrible at math. I mean really terrible. It gives me hives.
4. She has daisies on her cheeks. Heaven knows, I love daisies.
5. She will look so pretty in my bedroom.
6. The painting reminds me of my husband, who is fantastic at math. He helped me “double” a recipe today.
7. The colors are amazing. They remind me of our quilt, a gift from my mom. She, like my husband, is excellent at math and does our taxes like a CPA Ninja.
8. The painting reminds me of my dad, who, like me, is also terrible at math.
9. Did I say, I love the colors?
10. I can’t stop looking at her. I feel like she was painted especially for me.
… when Trouble arrived in the mail last week, she was even more lovely than on my computer screen. I knew she belonged in this room. She has found her home right next to my bed… and next to my alarm clock. The numbers 5:13(am) could not be more troublesome.
Anyway, more than that, I love that I see her everyday first thing when i wake up, and just before i turn the lights out. She’s home.
Thank you Joann. I can’t wait to save up for my next Loftus!